Skip to main content

Reusable Menstrual Sponge Tampons


Sponges purchased at Poseidon Sponges via Ebay. www.poseidonsponge.com

This next blog post has long been over due. I was meant to write reviews about a variety of menstrual items that I purchased last year, but then became pregnant! While I was able to test out many of the items I will be reviewing, one I was not able to. However, this particular post will focus on the sponge tampons, which I have used and have come to love.

The sponges that I purchased are from a company called Poseidon Sponges, located in Greece. I made this purchase via ebay and chose this company's sponges over other sellers, due to price, quantity, the fact that they have strings attached to the sponges (makes removing them a breeze!), they came in a variety of sizes, and they came with tea tree oil cleaner. Please note that I am not affiliated with this company in any way and am not writing this post to endorse them in any way. I just to let my readers know what options are out there.

Upon receiving the sea sponges, I was quite impressed by how fast they arrived, that instructions for cleaning, sanitizing, and using them were included (as you will read in my reviews of other forms of reusable tampons, this does not always happen), and that cute little sea shells arrived with the package (making the purchase more fun with this free little gift). At the time, I honestly could not wait to start my period, so that I could try these sponges out! I know, crazy right?




The sponges I purchased were a mix of honeycomb and fina silk sponges. The instructions state that the honeycomb sponges are for light days, while the fina silk sponges are for heavy days. It also states that these can be used for 3-6 hours at a time, depending on your flow and for up to 6 months, before having to throw away and repurchase.

To use, once they have been sanitized via boiling, you simply run under water to soften up the sponge, squeeze out the water, and insert into your vagina using your hands, (or by my favorite method) by placing in a plastic tampon applicator and then inserting. Do not try inserting sponges that have not been wet prior to use, as they may be uncomfortable to wear, or may not fit the shape of your vagina. On that note, I'd like to add that each sponge can be trimmed (by you) to fit your particular shape, needs, and comfort.


The picture above is just an example of what I did for my particular reusable tampon stash. The trick is to find an applicator size that is large enough to hold the reusable tampon of your choice. The size applicator you will need will vary on the size of reusable tampon that you purchase (is it sized regular, heavy, super plus, etc.) along with the particular design of the tampon. I purchased four different designs (pictured above) of various sizes and materials. So, if you choose to insert your reusable tampons by using an applicator (instead of having your fingers have to get up there, real close and personal, lol), plan on buying a small box of disposable tampons with plastic applicators of various sizes, so you can find ones that will fit. I justified the cost of buying disposable tampons for this purpose by using the disposable tampons first and then washing and allowing the applicators to dry, before I reused them for my cloth tampon stash.

With the sponge tampons, please note that you will have to wet the sponges prior to placing into an applicator to use right away. You cannot just wet the sponge, place into an applicator, and store for your next period as this may introduce mold and bacteria. With other forms of reusable tampons, you can just set them right up for the next time you menstruate. However, most people who use reusable tampons, probably do not have quite the supply that I do, and instead choose to purchase a couple sea sponges that vary in size for the amount of flow that you have, rinse them after use, and reinsert. I've got quite the stash of reusable tampons (not to mention cloth pads and cloth diapers) let me tell you, lol.

Be sure to check out various ways to carry them with you while you are out and about, such as this handy wetbag that I purchased from moocowmomma on etsy. I will be reviewing this soon, too! Please note, that I wrote "Bloody Hell" on it, to be funny. It did not ship to me like this. 



Also, when drying your sea sponges, consider making yourself, or buying, a mini clothes line like the one I made from Popsicle sticks and a glue gun from the dollar store. This is pictured below.





Based on my experience with sponge tampons, I have to say they will be a staple in my cloth menstrual stash that I will always want to come back to. They are comfortable, economical, and a natural option for just about any cloth mama. If you are considering sea sponges as a natural option for yourself, please do your research, consult your gynecologist with any questions, and make the best judgment for yourself.

For those of you who have used sea sponges as natural tampons before, what are your experiences?


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dab Herb Makeup and Skincare. An Organic Etsy Shop

Dab Herb Makeup and Skincare ( https://www.etsy.com/shop/DabHerbMakeup ) is my favorite makeup shop offered on Etsy. Crissy, the shop owner, prides herself in offering effective, organic, food-grade ingredients and healthy, responsible containers to store her products in. Her glowing reviews on her shop speak for themselves. Here, the quality is evident and the products work. Her customer service is also remarkable. When I wear makeup, I find myself mostly wearing products from this shop. Let's take a look at Dab Herb's makeup which I purchased. Pictured above is the Organic Herb Foundation. This is my favorite foundation and it offers excellent coverage. For daily wear, I usually prefer less coverage, but when I want to get all glammed up this is my go-to product. It is blendable, buildable and my ideal foundation. The price is great especially considering the organic, food-grade ingredients that were carefully selected to give you unbeatable natural beauty. When compa

Living An Organic Lifestyle: The Hunt for Organic, Non-toxic Makeup.

Two years ago, I quit wearing makeup due to health and financial reasons. I had learned about the toxic effects that mainstream makeup can pose for one's health and it made me take a careful look at what foods I ate, cosmetics I used, and chemicals I subjected my family and I to. For someone who practically depended on makeup to make me look better than I felt, as I live with a chronic illness, it was challenging to muster up positive self-esteem some days. I began to look as poorly as I felt. As time passed, I began researching organic makeup. As living an organic, healthy lifestyle became so important to me, I knew organic makeup was the way to go. In addition to this requirement, I didn't want any makeup that contained toxic ingredients or that contained ingredients that I was not comfortable with, such as hydrogenated oils. I began my hunt for organic, non-toxic makeup armed with the realization that not all organic makeup is created equal or avoids the use of potent